Easy comfort food that’s like a meeting between your favorite carnitas taco, and spicy, brothy tortilla soup.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1.5 lb pork shoulder/ham roast
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ½ small head of green cabbage, cut into ½ inch strips
- 1 small can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 12 oz jar of roasted red and yellow peppers
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup (omit for Whole30)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups broth
- Juice of one lime
- Juice of one orange
- green onion
- feta or cotija cheese
- For Frying Shredded Pork:
- 2 tbsp butter, or olive or avocado oil
- Wash and dry pork shoulder. Place in crockpot and top with the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT garnishes.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4-5.
- When done, remove pork using tongs and shred with two forks. Heat 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or oil in a skillet over medium high heat and fry pork in batches until the edges are nice and crisp. Set aside.
- Blend about half of the soup until smooth and return to crock pot.
- Add crispy pork, season soup with salt and a little more maple syrup if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with garnishes.